Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Scales

I suspect this post falls into the category of 'stream of consciousness' blogging, or 'things that remind you of other things that remind you of other things.'

Starting with:

A. The Single Woman.

I recently read Jill Reynolds' The Single Woman: A Discursive Investigation. It was quite interesting, although there weren't really enough (any) monsters or grotesques in it. Which is pretty much a requirement these days.

But it reminded me of:


Specifically, one of my favourite scenes in the film (along with the bit where Mr Darcy... er, that guy Mr Darcy is playing, wears the ugly jumper).

Smug Married: "Why is it there are so many unmarried women in their thirties these days, Bridget?"

Bridget: "Oh, I don't know. Suppose it doesn't help that underneath our clothes our entire bodies are covered in scales."

Which then reminded me of:



"Men cannot resist her. Mankind may not survive her."



"Beauty is only skin deep"



"Irresistible beauty. Unstoppable instincts."


Which made me think of:


[Via]

Which I haven't seen yet. It's on the list.

But that reminded me of:

E. Britain's Next Top Model.

Specifically the episode below, where the aspiring models are covered in blood for a horror themed photo shoot.




And all of the above surged into my head today while watching this:

F. Agatha Christie's Poirot.




I caught the end of an episode, where Poirot and Hastings are discussing the successful resolution of a case. The mystery was solved when Poirot revealed that two characters, the dowdy nurse and the stunning blond, were in fact the same person.

Hastings is deeply disconcerted. If a beautiful woman can make herself look drab, surely a drab woman could make herself look beautiful? Think of the ramifications! Poirot replies that this realisation is "the beginning of wisdom."

Et tu, Poirot?




Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment